INSPIRED BIRTH: An Active Approach to Childbirth Preparation
A dynamic, fun and experiential Childbirth Class that examines labor support techniques that really work. This active childbirth class empowers couples to labor and give birth at home, in a birth center, or in the hospital. Working from the fundamental belief that labor is a natural process, this class helps women achieve a birth free from interference. We will also cover how to consciously use intervention when needed, and what to expect in any birth setting.
Drawing from multiple childbrith methods, Inspired Birth uses both practical, information based education, as well as the creative and intuitive. With birth art, visualization, hypnosis, as well as great techniques that really work to facilitate the labor process. We emphasizehands on tools and practice in class, to get the tools into your body, not just your mind. We balance straight facts and information, with fun exploration and individual attention!
Most importantly, the community that is formed during your class will remain a source of connection and support during and after your birth. We give special attention to the relationship between the partners, building intimacy and creating a deep level of communication around the pregnancy, birth and beyond.
It's a balanced, down to earth, non-judgmental class, where each individual's desire for their birth is honored and celebrated. We hope you will join us!
Prenatal and Labor Support Techniques
- exploring and releasing your individual fears
- optimal birth positions
- labor support: what women need in labor
- massage and acupressure for labor comfort and facilitation
- how to prepare your partner for natural childbirth's sights, sounds and challenges
- hypnosis and alternative pain management
- optimizing your chance at a natural birth through nutrition and preparation
- Choosing a birthplace that matches your desires
- Labor and Care Providers
- stages of labor
- normal labor progress
- slower labor, detours, and how to get labor back on track
- using the senses to help support the labor process
- writing your birth preferences
- communicating with care providers during pregnancy and labor
- how to use doula support for birth and/or post partum
- natural methods to help avoid intervention
- special 'partners class' to help prepare your partner for the birth and postpartum period
- Preparing for the postpartum period using the Bio/Psycho/Social map
- realistic expectations for the postpartum period
- a gentle approach to sleep and scheduling in the first six weeks
- postpartum depression prevention and awareness
- natural remedies for mama and baby in the post partum period
- preparing your community and extended family to support you the way that you need to be supported.
- protecting your partnership so that it can thrive after baby's arrival.
What students are saying:
"I just wanted to drop you all a quick note to say THANK YOU so much for your help in creating the birth we wanted for our son. Thanks in part to fabulous acupuncture induction sessions, he decided to be born 2 days before our 42-week scheduled medical induction, which was a great relief to me (not at all excited about pitocin). Our birth was med-free, clocked at about 8 hours total, and was expertly stewarded by Hypnomama and my well-educated husband who knew how to care for me during surges. Now we've got a healthy little man and are learning more about parenting every day" Andria, Aug 2013
"We feel so much more confident and prepared to labor together and to accept whatever may happen during our birth experience, so we thank Katie and Maria for that,"
~Beth, Aug 2012
2013-14 UPCOMING CHILDBIRTH CLASS SCHEDULE:
Winter Inspired Birth Childbirth classes:
- NOVEMBER 16th Second Time around One afternoon intensive (2-6pm- for second (or more) time mamas and partners
- DECEMBER WEEKEND INTENSIVE: Dec 13-15th (6pm-9pm Friday, 2pm-6pm Sat, 10am-2pm Sunday)
- JANUARY/FEBRUARY THURSDAY class series: 6:30-8:45pm 1/9-2/13
- FEBRUARY/MARCH THURSDAY Class series 6:30-8:45pm 2/20-3/27
- APRIL/MAY THURSDAY Class series, 7:00-9:00pm, 4/3- 5/1
- MAY/JUNE THURSDAY Class series, 7:00-9:00pm, 5/15 - 6/12
- JUNE/JULY MONDAY Class series, 6:00-8:45pm, 6/23- 7/28
- JULY/AUG THURSDAY Class series, 7:00-9:00pm, 7/24-8/21
- Later Dates: TBA
To Register for these childbirth classes,
1. Please fill out the registration form here to sign up and/or get more information
2. Click here to make a deposit and hold your space in class
(this is our mindbody software, please let us know if you have any questions)
Note, each month there is an optional Breastfeeding class and/or Birth Circle offered. For the Monday class series, there is typically no class on the first Monday of the month, and families are encouraged to attend either/both of the additional classes.
For later dates, please contact us! If there is a specific day of the week or Month that you would like to have a childbirth class, please contact us and we will do our best to add one to the schedule. Classes fill up well in advance, so register as soon as you choose a class to hold your space!
To register and pay for classes, click here
COST is $325 per couple, plus $25 for book and materials.
MEMBERSHIP RATE: Yo Mama Members: $275 (per couple), plus $25 for book and materials.
November one day class is $150, all materials included.
For more information on becoming a member of Yo Mama, click here
Please contact us if cost is a concern and we will work with you. Scholarships available. Payment plans available. We accept cash, check and credit cards.
There is a refundable Book Deposit of $25 charged the first night of class. If you choose to keep your book, the deposit is applied.
"Being on the the other side of labor and delivery now, I have to express my awe and gratitude for what my body, as a woman, was capable of accomplishing. Thank the good goddess, Katie, that you put together the Hypnomama HypnoBirthing mp3's. Putting those on repeat on my iPod throughout the first night of labor was what set the tone for my zen space and ability to maintain focus during the rest of the labor and deliver process,"
~ Kristen, Aug 2012
"He [my partner] felt equally as supported and educated as I did, and he made some sweet connections with the other dads. I'm so happy we were able to attend all of the childbirth classes together,"
~ Lindsay, Aug 2012
The creator of these classes is Katie Wise.
Katie Wise is a Certified Doula, childbirth educator and birth advocate, as well as the owner and founder of Yo Mama Yoga and Family Centers. Katie believes that women’s bodies have the wisdom to give birth. Her purpose in supporting and educating pregnant women and couples is to uncover and foster that instinct and faith. Her Childbirth Classes are recommended by midwives and doctors alike. She has supported over 200 families through labor and hundreds of families through pregnancy and childbirth education. Her work and writing have been featured in “Whole Life Times,” “Yogi Times,” “Los Angeles Daily News,” “Special Delivery,” the “Boulder Daily Camera,” and on NPR.