INSPIRED BIRTH: An Active Approach to Childbirth Preparation
A dynamic, fun and experiential Childbirth Class that examines labor support techniques that really work. Exploring the joys and challenges of labor, this childbirth class empowers couples to labor and give birth at home , in a birth center, or in the hospital. Working from the fundamental belief that labor is a natural process, this class helps women achieve a birth free from interference. We will also cover how to consciously use intervention when needed, and what you might be faced with while in the hospital or at home.
We approach childbirth from both the practical, information based model, as well as the creative and intuitive. Over the course of the class, you will participate in unique and revealing exercises like art, visualization, and hypnosis! Inspired Birth emphasizes hands on tools and practice in class. We select a few video segments to show in class. We balance straight facts and information, with fun exploration and individual attention!
Most importantly, the community that is formed during your class will remain a source of connection and support during and after your birth. We give special attention to the relationship between the partners, building intimacy and creating a deep level of communication around the pregnancy, birth and beyond.
It's a balanced, down to earth, non-judgmental class, where each individual's desire for their birth is honored and celebrated. We hope you will join us!
Prenatal and Labor Support Techniques
- exploring and releasing your individual fears
- optimal birth positions
- labor support: what women need in labor
- massage and acupressure for labor comfort and facilitation
- how to prepare your partner for natural childbirth's sights, sounds and challenges
- hypnosis and alternative pain management
- optimizing your chance at a natural birth through nutrition and preparation
- Choosing a birthplace that matches your desires
Labor and Care Providers
- stages of labor
- normal labor progress, slower labor, detours, and how to get labor back on track
- using the senses to help support the labor process
- writing your birth preferences
- communicating with care providers during pregnancy and labor
- doula support for birth and/or post partum
- natural methods to help avoid intervention
- special 'partners class' to help prepare your partner for the birth and postpartum period
- breastfeeding basics (we still recommend adding Darcy's class as well)
- realistic expectations for the postpartum period
- a gentle approach to sleep and scheduling in the first six weeks
- postpartum depression prevention and awareness
- natural remedies for mama and baby in the post partum period
- preparing your community and extended family to support you the way that you need to be supported.
- protecting your partnership so that it can thrive after baby's arrival.
"We feel so much more confident and prepared to labor together and to accept whatever may happen during our birth experience, so we thank Katie and Maria for that,"
~Beth, Aug 2012
2013 UPCOMING CHILDBIRTH CLASSES:
- APRIL/MAY MONDAY Class Series, 6:00PM - 8:45PM: 4/8 - 5/13 (Skip 5/6, Optional Make Up Class: 5/20)
- MAY/JUNE THURSDAY Class Series, 6:30PM - 9:00PM: 5/2 - 6/6
- JUNE/JULY THURSDAY Class Series, 6:30PM - 9:00PM: 6/20 - 8/1 (no class on 7/4)
- JULY/AUGUST MONDAY Class Series, 6:00PM - 8:45PM: 7/15 - 8/26 (no class on 8/5)
- AUGUST/SEPT THURSDAY Class Series, 6:30-9pm 8/22-9/26
- OCTOBER/NOVEMBER MONDAY Class series, 6:00-8:30pm 10/14-11/25 (no class 11/4)
- NOVEMBER/DECEMBER THURSDAY Class series, 6:00-9:00pm 11/14-12/19 (no class 11/28) 5 classes only
- Later dates TBA
To Register for these childbirth classes,
1. Please fill out the registration form here to sign up and/or get more information
2. Click here to make a deposit and hold your space in class
(this is our mindbody software, please let us know if you have any questions)
Note, each month there is an optional Breastfeeding class and/or Birth Circle offered. For the Monday class series, there is typically no class on the first Monday of the month, and families are encouraged to attend either/both of the additional classes.
*The Optional make-up class is only used if another class has to be cancelled by the Instructor, due to illness or family emergency. Please hold this date free in your schedule to be used if needed. It is usually the same day and time, one week after the last scheduled class.
For later dates, please contact us! If there is a specific day of the week or Month that you would like to have a childbirth class, please contact us and we will do our best to add one to the schedule. Classes fill up well in advance, so register as soon as you choose a class to hold your space!
COST is $325 per couple, plus $25 for book and materials.
MEMBERSHIP RATE: Yo Mama Members: $275 (per couple), plus $25 for book and materials.
For more information on becoming a member of Yo Mama, click here
Please contact us if cost is a concern and we will work with you. Scholarships available. Payment plans available. We accept cash, check and credit cards.
There is a refundable Book Deposit of $25 charged the first night of class. If you choose to keep your book, the deposit is applied.
"Being on the the other side of labor and delivery now, I have to express my awe and gratitude for what my body, as a woman, was capable of accomplishing. Thank the good goddess, Katie, that you put together the Hypnomama HypnoBirthing mp3's. Putting those on repeat on my iPod throughout the first night of labor was what set the tone for my zen space and ability to maintain focus during the rest of the labor and deliver process,"
~ Kristen, Aug 2012
"He [my partner] felt equally as supported and educated as I did, and he made some sweet connections with the other dads. I'm so happy we were able to attend all of the childbirth classes together,"
~ Lindsay, Aug 2012
The creator of these classes is Katie Wise.
Katie Wise is a Certified Doula, childbirth educator and birth advocate, as well as the owner and founder of Yo Mama Yoga and Family Centers. Katie believes that women’s bodies have the wisdom to give birth. Her purpose in supporting and educating pregnant women and couples is to uncover and foster that instinct and faith. Her Childbirth Classes are recommended by midwives and doctors alike. She has supported over 160 families through labor and hundreds of families through pregnancy and childbirth education. Her work and writing have been featured in “Whole Life Times,” “Yogi Times,” “Los Angeles Daily News,” “Special Delivery,” the “Boulder Daily Camera,” and on NPR.